Sr. Sales & Use Tax Analyst / Sales Tax Manager
Category: Corporate Office
Job Type: Full time
Job Req code: R0011496
We will be hiring either a Sales and Use Tax Senior, or a Sales and Use Tax Manager depending on the experience level of the candidate. The Sales and Use Tax Senior/Manager will report directly to the Director of Tax and be responsible to ensure compliance obligations are efficiently, timely and accurately satisfied while minimizing company’s sales, meals and use tax liabilities. The Sales and Use Tax Senior/Manager will work on other tax projects, including sales, meals and use tax reviews, process automation and improvement, and audit defense.
This position requires an individual who is very detail oriented, takes ownership of assigned tasks, and can work effectively within the time constraints of a production environment.
- Prepare and/or review and file monthly state sale and local sales/use and meals tax returns and associated workpapers. Process all check/EFT remittances and electronic filings.
- Prepare and review journal entries and perform account reconciliations; identify and resolve account variances.
- Review use tax accruals for accuracy.
- Review and/or provide sales tax exemption certificates.
- Review fixed asset and expense purchase invoices to determine taxability.
- Assist in managing sales and use tax audits, including the preparation of supporting documents for requests from external auditors.
- Manage sales and meals tax license applications and renewals. Maintain license calendar and ensure all licenses and permits are renewed accurately and timely.
- Respond to state and local notices.
- Monitor laws, regulations and rulings in sales and use taxes. Analysis and research of state sales tax matters. Communicate taxability and rate changes to the business. Summarize and document tax laws accordingly.
- Work with third party service providers to manage taxability determinations.
- Facilitate tax compliance automation, including the development of best practices in multi-state sales tax compliance. Identify and implement necessary changes and process improvements to manually intensive tax processes.
- Provide timely, comprehensive sales tax advice, support & training to the Tax Department and other internal business units. Interact with external and internal business associates to address and respond to sales tax inquiries.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- The position requires experience and proficient technical knowledge of sales/use laws and regulations specific to the retail industry. Minimum 5-7 years in public accounting and/or equivalent in private industry to be considered for Manager position. Minimum 2-3 years to be considered for Senior position.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business or a related field. CPA, MST/LLM or JD preferred for Manager position.
- Strong computer, Excel, and analytical skills required.
- Accounting and G/L experience, knowledge of PDI accounting system, Vertex, Avalara, Sovos, etc. preferred.
- Ability to work effectively, independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and adapt to changes.
- Ability to communicate concisely and effectively to distill complex tax and accounting issues.
- Ability to provide team support to ensure that all deadlines are met, working overtime when necessary.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We consider applications for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information or any other legally protected status.