Category Marketing Manager
Category: Corporate Office
Job Type: Full time
Job Req code: R0013027
Do you want to see your work make an immediate impact? Do you want to be involved in developing the next generation of “convenience stores”?? If this interests you, then Global Partners is the place for you. Global Partner, an adaptive distribution energy company and part of the Fortune 500, is looking for a Category Manager for their Snacks and Candy categories.
This position manages the selection, purchasing, pricing, and merchandising plans of the Snacks and Candy categories within the 285 convenience stores operated by Global Partners. The category manager has responsibility for the P/L of these categories.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Strategic Category Management
- Selects and curates the correct products to maximize sales
- Develops and manages marketing programs for assigned categories.
- Maintains and improves profitability through effective, unique and conventional retail methods
- Provides clear measures for profitability for all managed programs, promotions and initiatives
- Leverages data to develop category analysis and strategy to maximize category and consumer trends
- Ability to segment approach across the enterprise to maximize profitability and cost management
- Develops supplier partnerships that utilize available resources to develop differentiating products and programs
Cost Containment and Profitability
- Maximizes gross margin for categories by establishing control processes and margin targets
- Generates the highest funding available for all company operated locations
- Negotiates purchasing contracts with vendors
- Performs on-going verification of plans against budgeted sales and gross profit and develops plans to address any shortfalls
- P&L responsibility for assigned categories, including budgeting, forecasting and reporting financial performance.
- Determines pricing for assigned categories utilizing retail pricing guidelines to optimize category profitability.
- Works with implementation team to maintain and update category product selection, pricing, and accuracy throughout the chain.
- Works closely with field operations regarding execution, training and marketing
- Analyzes monthly P&L statements determining areas of opportunity, creating action plans and working closely with both corporate and field employees to remedy
- Utilizes consumer insights/trends to develop category plans, including strategies and tactics to deliver projected sales and margin
- Works closely with marketing team on the development/execution of category communication and promotion, including product point of purchase, private label, branding, co-op and advertising
- Develops and communicates category information to all levels within the organization. Participates in weekly/monthly planning and communication meetings. Resolves category issues.
- Performs other job-related projects and tasks as assigned.
- Overnight travel: 5% - 10%
- Portrays a positive image of the company at all times
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BA or BS degree.
- 5+ years in a category management capacity with demonstrated increased responsibilities
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively within all levels of the organization, external partners and all collaborators.
- High level of proficiency in one or more of the following tools; Excel, PowerBI and/or Tableau
- Must be able to understand and breakdown P&L statements
- Capable of creating and making public presentations to peers and C-Suite executives
- Ability to collaborate and influence with and without authority
We are an equal opportunity employer. We consider applications for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information or any other legally protected status.