Senior Retail Accountant
Category: Corporate Office
Job Type: Full time
Job Req code: R0016338
Supervise the Retail Accounting Department for the accounting of company operated convenience stores and commission agents which includes the purchase, inventory and sale of store merchandise and fuel.
Supervise department staff assigned duties. Data is received from the stores or commission agents in the retail department through the PDI Enterprise system or Petronet. Collaborate and coordinate with site operations, management and other accounting departments.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Supervise staff as follows:
- Recruit, mentor, train and develop employee growth opportunities.
- Coach, counsel, and discipline employees; plan, monitor, and appraise job responsibilities; conduct training; implement process improvements and system enhancements.
- Review Merchandise inventory reports for accuracy with the focus on retail, cost and margins
- Review Fuel inventory reports for accuracy with the focus on out of tolerance stick adjustments and margins
- Preparing, analyzing and reviewing daily, weekly and monthly reconciliations, analytics and reports.
- Ensure integrity of the Retail Accounting audit process and maintain appropriate documentation for all retail sites and commission agents
- Review operational programs, devise accounting and auditing practice for implementation
- Supervise the month end close of retail accounting sub-ledger for over 550 operational sites, associated reconciliations of key operating accounts with a high level of compliance and accuracy.
- Facilitate the integration and reconciliation of Credit Card data. Work with management and IT to automate and streamline these activities.
- Assist in trouble shooting operational Retail Accounting issues affecting the close process
- Reviewing month-end check list to ensure all Retail Accounting activities have been completed accurately and timely.
- Add and maintain all site set-up and associated Enterprise system module used to enter all accounting data
- Communication and collaborate with store, commission agents and other department managers
- Maintain specific general ledger accounts in Enterprise
- Review and correct files with system warnings before nightly updates
- Review and correct nightly batch update processes that fail
- Maintain Enterprise Training Manual
- Maintain and update department procedures
- Supply documents to support requests from the internal and external auditors
- Cultivate an environment that encourages maximum productivity and service effectiveness, professional development, open communications and teamwork.
- Perform such other tasks and assignments to be determined by the Finance and Accounting leadership team as a result of changing business circumstances in a spirit of continuous improvement and teamwork.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting or equivalent experience
- 4-6 years of related accounting, supervision or equivalent experience
- Advanced Excel Skills, MS Word, & Outlook
- Strong working knowledge and experience in PDI or similar related Operational/Accounting systems
- Excellent analytical skills, detail oriented with strong analytical, research and problem-solving skills, reliable and highly motivated
- Ability to work as a liaison between Accounting Departments and the business to prioritize multi-task job workload as it relates to these departments
- Mature, professional attitude, accustomed to client service environments
- Open to change and willing to learn new skills
- Ability to follow up on pending issues and meet deadlines
- Possess strong decision-making, organizational, planning, time management and multi-tasking skills – ability to prioritize workload to allow for the expedited processing / follow-up on rush items
- Demonstrated success working both individually and within a team in a high volume, deadline-oriented environment with emphasis on accuracy and timeliness. Consider the ideas of others and work collaboratively to accomplish assigned tasks.
- Ability to effectively communicate, including written and oral, and develop effective working relationships across multiple levels of the organization
- Ability to adapt and thrive in a fast-pace, rapidly changing demanding environment, have a sense of urgency in to order to comply with various time deadlines and competing demands.
- An inquisitive and structured approach to problem resolution
- Must possess high degree of professionalism, adaptability, integrity, attention to detail, and the ability to handle confidential information in a discreet, professional manner
- Be accountable and forward thinking in your actions and scheduling
- Availability to work extra hours when the need arises
We are an equal opportunity employer. We consider applications for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information or any other legally protected status.